What a year, ABSOLUTELY crazy + amazing + life changing! My word for the year was BALANCE, and I tried really hard to achieve it all year. Not with much success honestly. ‘Balance’ seemed like a joke with my clingy 2 year old baby girl Naomi! But things changed right around IDEA! event + style’s second birthday in October. Somehow things fell into their slots like smooth wooden puzzle pieces. And for that I’m so grateful!
Time for some end-of-the-year honesty? No matter how successful and ‘busy’ (even though I use it, I so detest that word!) and accomplished a small business like mine seems, underneath there is a huge torrent. There is a constant juggle between being an event planner, a designer, a marketing expert (talk about struggle!), an accountant (talk about an even bigger struggle!), your own email assistant, shop coordinator, shipping controller (thanks hubby for taking that over!) and the list goes on. Sounds exhausting, doesn’t it? Because it is. While I LOVE owning and steering the IDEA! ship, it sometimes frustrates me that I can’t just plan celebrations or design to my heart’s content. Nope, that is actually less than half of my work time.
So the last few weeks of this year, I invested the time to really organize, streamline and simplify the backend of IDEA!’s operations. And I’m already starting to see how much that was needed! It was time to slow down and enjoy the journey once again.
With that, here are some of my goals for 2014. I would love to hear yours too if you’d like to share in the comments below!
- Get the kids involved in something charitable (If you’re in Atlanta and have some ideas, please email me!)
- Eat healthy meals and get outside more!
- Baking/cooking days with Neil (Yes, my 7 year old LOVES to cook, so we’ve decided to try new recipes together!)
- Organize the 3437349 pictures on my computer. I already have a system in place, but seriously, I need to get on it!
- Attack the filing cabinet monster in the office. The family filing cabinet that is, it’s a disaster!
- Lose 10 lbs and get fit. Being around desserts all the time has taken its toll but healthy eating and personal training have already started :)
- Workshops! I’m so excited about learning more about flowers, calligraphy and hopefully a couple of design classes. I’m great with Photoshop but totally scared to even open InDesign and Illustrator. Hopefully I will conquer those fears in 2014.
- Learn to take better pictures. Already signed up for a photography class in January that I plan on continuing all year… YES!
If I’m able to achieve most of these goals, 2014 will be monumental for me. I can’t wait to make it all happen! Follow me on IG for more on-the-spot goals updates and encouragement! Cheers & happy new year guys, thank you for sticking around and giving me a reason to blog :)